|KOLKATA : Places to Visit|
Academy of Fine Arts
1933, the Academy of Fine Arts holds impressive collection of Indian art.
Majority of the pieces have been donated by Lady Ranu Mukherjee from her
personal collection. The collection includes rare paintings of Rabindranath
Tagore, Jamini Roy, contemporary Indian art, mediaeval Bengal and Indian
textiles, sculptures, miniature paintings, manuscripts. There is a room
dedicated to Rabindranath Tagore which displays some of his personal belongings.
The auditorium hosts group theatres, dance programs and various cultural
shows through out the year.
Garden is situated in Alipore and was founded by William Carey in 1820.
This garden has a significant collection of botanical varieties with facilities
for gardeners and plant/flower lovers. The pleasant and quiet garden is
ideal for a walk. There is state-of-the-art greenhouse in the garden which
was donated by the royal family of Darbhanga. Picnic is not allowed.
by Armenian architects (Aga Nazar and Katchik Arfiel) in the early 18th
century, this is the oldest extant church in Kolkata today. The Armenians
settled in the city in 17th century and used to be a vibrant community.
The church was originally designed as a wood structure, which was later
replaced by a brick and mortar building. The interior is decorated with
marble and the overhead gallery contains mural tablets. Three oil paintings
by artist A.E. Harris can be found in the altar.
in the intersection of Park Street and Chowranghee, Asiatic Society was
formed in 1784 by Sir William Jones and a group of Europeans with Warren
Hastings as it's first patron. The library inside has approximately 149,000
volumes including 8,000 rare Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian and Hindi manuscripts.
It is also rich with archaeological relics, geological and ethnological
specimens. The rooms of the society contain valuable work of art, including
original paintings by Reubens, Guiles, Reynolds and others. The library
also has an interesting collection of manuscripts, coins, inscriptions
and engravings. The Ashokan rock edict is a unique item here.
Asutosh Museum of Modern Art
at Centenary building of University of Calcutta. In 1937 the Asutosh Museum
of Indian Art was opened in the Western Hall of the then Senate House.
This museum has rare and valuable collections including Bengal patachitra
paintings, katha shilpo art, folk art, terra cotta, ivory art
magnificent temple located on the bank of river Ganges is the head quarter
of the Ramakrishna Mission. It was conceptualized by Swami Vivekananda,
the illustrious disciple of Ramakrishna Paramhansa. The construction took
four years and was completed on 1899. The temple building is one of the
finest specimen of temple architecture in India. The display includes
Swami Vivekananda's room, meditation bed, belongings etc. From the temple,
one can have a panoramic view of the holy river Ganges.
in 1963, Birla Planetarium was the first of it's kind in India. The Planetarium
owns an astronomical observatory equipped with a Celestron C-14 Telescope.
Located on the bank of the river Ganga near Bally Bridge, Dakshineswar Temple remains as one of the most important Hindu temple in Kolkata. The main temple houses an idol of Goddess Kali on a silver lotus with thousand petals. There are twelve spires known as Navratna Temple and a courtyard surrounded by 12 other temples dedicated to Lord Siva. Shri Shri Ramakrishna, the great 19th century religious personality attained enlightenment in this temple. There is a congregation of 5 ancient trees known as Panchavati, a spot for meditation. The temple is full of memoirs of Ramakrishna and his wife Sarada Devi. On an average, over 40,000 people visit this temple every day.
(General Post Office) building is located in BBD Bag area with it's 220
feet high dome, Ionic-Corinthian pillars and Edwardian architecture. Designed
by Walter B. Granville and built in 1868, the building is of immense archaeological
The oldest High Court of India opened in 1872. The red and yellow Gothic style architecture is replica of the Stadt-Haus (town hall) at Ypres in Belgium and was architected by Walter Granville. The tower is about 195 feet tall.
The building hosts an impressive Bar library and a Judge's library.
largest museum in the country was constructed in 1878. Prior to that the
museum was located at the Asiatic Society building. The museum has now
over sixty galleries of art, archaeology, anthropology, geology, zoology
and botany sections, spreading over ten thousand square feet area
The temple is believed to be 350 years old. The earliest mention of Kalighat is found in 'Ain-i-Akbari' (a historical document written during the time of Mughal Emperor Akbar) in the 16th century. Kalighat is the temple of Goddess 'Kali', the deity of power.
The temple was rebuilt in 1809 and renovated in 1971. A black stone idol of Goddess Kali decorated with gold and silver ornaments is ensconced here.
landlord Rajendra Mullick built this palace in 1855 using Italian marble.The
palace has an interior courtyard, complete with a throne room. The building
has paintings of Rubens, Reynolds.
This is the largest mosque in Kolkata. The mosque was built in 1926 by a merchant from Kutch named Abdur Rahim. The red sandstone building with two 46 meter high minarets and a brightly painted magnificent dome displays Indo-Saracenic architectural style. The structure was modeled on Akbar's tomb in Sikandara near Agra.
The mosque is located in Chitpore area and can accommodate 10,000 people.
Nehru Children's Museum
other things, this children's museum has displays of scenes from epics
- Ramayana and Mahabharata, made with clay models. Museum also hosts a
doll house with a collection of dolls from 88 countries.
St. Paul's Cathedral
When first built in 1847 by Bishop Wilson, this was the first Episcopal Cathedral Church in the eastern world. The Indo-Gothic style structure was severely damaged in earthquakes and was redesigned and rebuilt in 1938 replicating Bell Harry Tower of Canterbury Cathedral. The cathedral has many rare paintings and antique books. The interior is decorated with mosaic panels, stained glass windows, beautifully carved wooden pews, intricate artwork on walls and two marvelous Florentine frescoes. The church is 201 feet high.
Memorial was built between 1906 and 1921 in the memory of Queen Victoria.
It's foundation stone was laid by Prince of Wales(George V) on January
4th, 1906, and was inaugurated by Prince of Wales(King Edward VIII) on
28 December 1921. This majestic while marble palace is located in southern
part of the Maidan. The area comprises of 64 acres of land with
gardens, pool and walk trails. The building covers 338 feet by 228 feet
of land and the highest point is about 184 feet above the ground with
a black bronze angel holding a bugle in her hand. The statue is about
five meters tall, weighs 3,500 kg and rotates when the wind speed is high
enough. Currently the memorial building serves as a museum. The building
has galleries with paintings, portraits of eminent personalities, documents
witnessing the city's history during the British period.
Also known as 'Mahakaran' in Bengali, this building houses the State Secretariat and is the official address of the Chief Minister of West Bengal. The Writers Building got it's name for being the dwelling place of the junior servants (who were also called as writers) of the East India Company during the early British era; since late 19th century the building started hosting the office of the Bengal Secretariat. The original building was constructed in 1779; the current red brick style structure was completed during the time of Lt. Governor Ashley Eden in 1882. The total area consists of 10 acres of land and thirteen four storied buildings. The building epitomizes the political revolution of Bengal.