Hooghly district is one of the districts of the state of West Bengal in India. It can alternatively be speltHoogli or Hugli. The district is named after the Hooghly River.
The headquarters of the district are at Hooghly-Chinsura (Chuchura). There are 4 subdivisions in the district:Chinsura Sadar, Chandannagar, Serampore and Arambag.
The district of Hooghly derived its name from the town of Hooghly situated on the west bank of Hooghly Riverabout 40 km north of Kolkata. This town was a river port in the fifteenth century. But, the district has thousands of years of rich heritage in the form of the great Bengali kingdom of Bhurshut. The first European to reach this area was the Portuguese sailor Vasco-Da-Gama. In 1536 Portuguese traders obtained a permit from Sultan Mahmud Shah to trade in this area. In those days the Hooghly River was the main route for transportation and Hooghly served as an excellent trading port. Within a few decades the town of Hooghly turned into a major commercial center and the largest port in Bengal. Later in 1579-80 Emperor Akbar gave permission to a Portuguese captain Pedro Tavares to establish a city anywhere in the Bengal province. They normally chose Hooghly and thus Hooghly became the first European settlement in Bengal. In 1599 the Portuguese traders built a convent and a church in Bandel. This is the first Christian church in Bengal known as ‘Bandel Church’ today.
According to the 2011 census Hooghly district has a population of 5,520,389 . This gives it a ranking of 16th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,753 inhabitants per square kilometre (4,540 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 9.49%. Hugli has a sex ratio of 958 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 82.55%.
The district is a completely flat land with no place having more than an elevation of 200 meters. The River Hooghly borders it to the east. Another major river is ‘Damodar’. The district is bordered by Howrah District to the south, Bardhaman District to the north, and to the east by the River Hooghly. Bankura District lies to the north-west, with Medinipur District to the south-west.
Places of Interest
Tarakeswar is a renowned place of pilgrimage and the greatest centre of the Shiva sect in West Bengal.
Chandannagar is an important and nice town of Hooghly and famous for Jagaddhatri puja and awesome lighting.
Chinsurah is the district headquarters and a historical town of Hooghly. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay composed the “Vande Mataram,” the national song of India, at Chinsurah. The Dutch villa is separated at Joraghat and Townguard. They are called ‘Mondal Bari’ as they are now under the aristocratic ownership of the Mondal family. One can see the Dutch lioness murals on the entrance doors and allied wooden motifs. In spite of such historical background, a major portion of the original Dutch villa at Townguard road, where once nationalist leaders used to held meetings and conferences, had been demolished and gone into the hands of builders/promoters. The back portion and the joraghat Mondal house with Dutch acknowledgement are intact. The hierarchy of inheritance